Follow @RileyBanach

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Where Passions Begin

<data:blog./> | <data:blog.title/> #unidigadv - <data:blog.pageTitle/> - All Things Digital, Mobile, and Social

        Emotions that words can’t describe are created when the fire of a passion is lit inside someone for the first time.  Questions start racing into someone’s mind, puzzle pieces start to fall into place, excitement is in every breath taken, a thirst for more has begun, it is almost like an addiction.  The brain cannot turn it off once it has begun.  Gabrielle is right on, I do plan on my profession being intertwined in the medical sales world.  This post is about how my passion arose on a wintery night during my freshman year of high school.
            Growing up I played three sports, football, wrestling, and baseball.  One for every season, as I transitioned into high school, I continued all three.  After football was over I joined the wrestling team.  Two months into the season after our first meet, I found out what the common wrestling skin diseases were.  Needless to say I found out the hard way what these skin diseases were when I got one.
            When my wrestling coaches found out I had a skin disease, they sent me to the nurse who sent me to the doctor.  The doctor confirmed that I had in fact contracted a skin disease.  Which was the same diagnosis of all the people before her, she just had the power to.  Anyhow, my doctor sent me with a prescription to the pharmacy, and that is where the ball got rolling.
            As my dad and I pulled into the Hy-vee that night we noticed the store was busier than normal.  A blizzard had everyone stocking up on groceries in case the snow became too much.  My dad had to get a few things himself for us at the store, and being a freshman in high school he trusted me to pick up my medication myself.
            As I waited in line I noticed the pharmacists behind the counter continue to go in and out of rows with shelves upon shelves of medicine.  Like a library but the books were boxes.  They had something for the three people in front of me without fail, so when I came up I told them what I needed, and within minutes it was taken out of a box, placed in an orange container and packaged up for me.
            It was then I asked the pharmacist helping me, where did all that medicine come from?  He looked at me puzzled, and said, “do you mean who made them? or who represents and sells them?”  The second part of that phrase was the little force needed to start an avalanche of thoughts, questions, and new ideas.  Since I was the last one at the counter that day, I talked this poor guy’s ear off.
            From what I gathered, at one point in time, a company produced each box of medicine.  There are tons of companies out there dedicated to producing medicine for specific purposes.  A sales person then represents each type of medicine, their title is called a pharmaceutical sales rep, and they explain what their product does to doctors.  What I gathered from that was every box, every container of medicine I saw that night had a sales person behind it, promoting it to doctors.  There were easily ten rows of medicine, with shelves as high as arm’s reach and about as long as a typical high school classroom.
            By now my dad had gathered the three or four items he needed and realized that I was still at the pharmacy counter clearly keeping the worker form leaving.  Where the worker left off in our talk, I continued with my dad all the way home.  At the same time I may have been responsible for making my dad’s bald spot a couple hairs bigger that night.  A lot of questions he didn’t know the answer too and he became a little frustrated.
            When we got home though, I told my mom what I had talked about at the pharmacy.  She looked at my dad said, “why don’t you call Chris and have him answer some of these questions?”  My dad had a light bulb go off.  Chris, the man my mom was talking about, is a pharmaceutical sales rep.  This was a huge piece to the puzzle that was taking shape in my mind.
            Chris Roberts was the right man to go to.  He explained to me what a typical day is like for him, the kinds of drugs he represents and a typical patient who uses them.  He went onto explain the best part of his job was hearing how a patient’s life changed because of medicine that their doctor recommended that Chris promoted to the doctor.  In college I was fortunate enough to get an assignment to interview a salesperson I had to know personally.  In that interview with him he went more in-depth on what he did, he was more than happy to help.
            Pharmaceutical sales reps have a tough job.  They are rewarded for working hard and sticking to their plan and have a reputable career.  Chris sets goals every week and he tracks himself on how he is doing.  There will be other posts to stay tuned for, I will go more into detail about Chris’s job, my experience in the health care world, and topics I plan to have discussions with other interested people.  Until next time, laugh with everyone, laugh hard,
but never at someone, have a great week.
Riley Banach
A pharmaceutical sales rep at work.

A pharmacist hard at work, like the one who helped me.


No comments:

Post a Comment