Follow @RileyBanach

Sunday, October 6, 2013

Hi, I work for . . .

Chris Roberts and his son, Leo.

            In a follow up from my first post, this is the Man whom I have looked up to growing up, sometimes not by choice.  Chris Robert's father Jay and my Dad became very close friends while my Dad was attending the University of Iowa in the early 80s.  Chris, and his older sister Josie, grew up watching my Dad and his twin brother, Lou, wrestle.  But the family grew closer, Jay welcomed my Dad and Uncle Lou into his home like they were family.
            That bond we share as a family is incredible, fun, and one tight as a family.  When Chris was growing up, my Dad and Uncle would play and rough house with Chris.  When I was growing up and going to get togethers, the most common was the NCAA wrestling championships, I wrestled and played with Chris a lot.  Since Chris has had children of his own, I am now playing with his kids in all sorts of ways.  From tag to jet ski rides to sports, we do it all.
            I look up to Chris, I have since I first met him.  When I was a freshman in high school he was working for a pharmaceutical company called Eli Lilly.  The night I got on the phone with him after finding out about where medicine came from, he placed answered all my questions like it common knowledge.  He did it so smoothly and with ease, he is a professional salesman.
            Last spring I received an assignment in Marty Hansen's personal selling class.  I had to write a paper over an interview with a sales person.  I had no trouble selecting Chris.  I got an A on the paper, but that wasn't what I was concerned about.  I wanted to learn everything there was to know about a pharmaceutical sales rep.  The interview was great, the paper was easy, but what I learned is priceless.
            Chris gave me all sorts of advice, like what they look for in the interviewing process, what kind of company to work for, what he sees others doing, interacting with gatekeepers, and keeping a great reputation that nurses, doctors, and physicians all respect.
            Everyday Chris' goal is to have one appointment on the books with a doctor to explain a medicine he represents.  The current medicine that Chris represents is humalog infulin and tradjenta for diabetes.  From there he visits other offices and hospitals in his territory to see if any doctors need samples or more of the products that he has previously had prescribed by doctors at that location.
            There are many common challenges that Chris faces, one is not being able to do his job.  A doctor or physician may get caught up with a patient when Chris is suppose to see the medical expert.  That is tough and something he cannot control.  The next challenge is how his job is evolving.  With new health care laws in place, the way medicine is promoted may change.  With that Chris has a plan, he wants to be able to adapt to change at the drop of a hat.  He is ready for the future and whatever it may hold.
            Chris is motivated by many things, a sales job has its highs and lows.  Chris always makes the highs last a long time and the lows short.  The best moments of his job is when a nurse or doctor inform him that they took a chance on his medicine for a patient, and it worked.  It was the difference and it changed a life for someone.  He makes a difference in the health world, it is small, but he does it every week.  That is why I want to try my hand at the field, I want to know what it feels like to make a meaningful difference someday for a complete stranger.
            Laughter is always the best medicine you can never have too much of, laugh with everyone, but never at someone.  Until next time, have a good one.
Riley Banach

No comments:

Post a Comment